On the 12th of December
ROBERT LESLIE CALLS FOR A DETAILED PLAN TO TACKLE CLIMATE CHANGE AND CREATE GREEN JOBS IN THE NORTHERN ISLES
Orkney and Shetland’s SNP candidate for the General Election has said that if elected, he will work with Shetland and Orkney Islands Councils to develop a detailed action plan to tackle climate change and create green jobs in the Northern Isles.
Robert Leslie said:
“At the start of this campaign I said that nobody should have to choose between heating and eating when we have so much renewable energy potential on our doorstep”.
“OIC has declared a climate emergency and I understand the SIC plans to. As a community we need to get together and define a detailed plan of action for what our emergency response should be”.
“I was delighted to see Nicola Sturgeon at the start of the General Election campaign unveil proposals for a new Green Energy Deal to revolutionise the renewable economy in Scotland and the rest of the UK”.
“Under the SNP’s new proposals, the long-term certainty required by renewable energy projects will be guaranteed, bringing an end to Westminster’s side-lining of the renewable industry”.
“We have a moral responsibility to tackle climate change and to lead the way in showing how our society can transition to net zero while creating economic opportunity and providing the assurance of rewarding work for all”.
“Orkney and Shetland can lead the world in building the new economy of the future, creating sustainable technologies and jobs that secure our prosperity”.
SNP MPs will:
- Demand the UK accelerates its action to meet Scotland’s climate change targets – the toughest legal targets in the world – of a 75% reduction in emissions by 2030, net zero carbon emissions no later than 2040 and net zero of all emissions by 2045
- Campaign for the UK government to bring forward plans to move to electric vehicles to match the Scottish target of 2032
- Press for the accelerated deployment of fully operational carbon capture utilisation and storage facilities to ensure Scotland is not denied this opportunity again
- Support substantial reforms to the UK tax system to support greener choices, including a greener tax deal for heating and energy efficiency improvements in homes and businesses and new vehicle and tax incentives regime for transport
- Campaign for the UK to remain aligned with EU environmental regulations even if Brexit takes place
- Propose a Green Energy Deal that will ensure renewable energy schemes get the long-term certainty needed to support investment.
It’s time to choose a new path for Orkney & Shetland!
Orkney SNP Branch welcomes our Candidate for MP – Robert Leslie
Contact Robert via his Facebook or Twitter
Robert Leslie meets the famous Aly Bain who has a few thoughts!
World famous Shetland fiddler Aly Bain endorses our SNP candidate for the Northern Isles, Robert Leslie. Speaking in Lerwick yesterday [Thursday] after the first night of his tour with Old Möller and Bruce Molsky, Aly said: “We’ve got to vote SNP. I can’t stand another five years of Boris Johnson.”
The Lerwick-born musician was playing his first gig in Shetland since major heart surgery. He got the biggest cheer of the night from a packed house when he said: “I’d like to dedicate this concert to the NHS.”
Robert Leslie, the SNP candidate, was out canvassing in Scalloway today [Friday] and stopped by the Shetland Bus monument on a lovely sunny afternoon.
Our candidate Robert Leslie standing for MP in the General Election on 12th December is pictured with Jack Tulloch, Project Manager at Malakoff who was kind enough to show Robert around the operation in Lerwick. Robert is a man who supports business and the local economy and our vital trading links with Europe.